Grifball Fantasy League

Discussion of the competitive American Grifball League of America.

Moderators: Community Leaders, GrifballHub Staff, AGLA Admins

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III
GGL Team: Pinnhead's Bench
AGLA Team: Some Weeby Shit
EUGBL Team: Here lies their hopes and dreams
Position: N/A

Re: Grifball Fantasy League

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 pm

SKiYTTLES wrote:Would it be totally dimb if we got to pick which player goes in which position. For example if i wanted to make tonga a tank? Obviously that would be dumb but it could lead to more strats

That's 100% how it works. Every position will get different points and different stats so picking your players in the correct positions is vital, as if choosing where to spend your money on power players. All out on a strong tank? Or try balance it across the board? Etc.

If there was spare bench players on a team, then people will be able to rotate their team around yes. I'm thinking that there could be a window every 2 weeks on the weekend where you can mix up your team, probably with a limit say 2 transfers at a time. Either that or a mid season (week 4) window to change up your team

Which goes along with my answer to fiery, every player will have a price which will be relative to the amount of fantasy points they would have earned this season, along with what they would be predicted for next season. That way we don't see 1000 different teams with the same players in every position, it's a lot more tactical in who to spend your credits on.
AGLA Record: W108/L31
EUGBL Record: W136/L46
Overall Record: W397/L109
7x 'ships ~ 7x Runner Up ~ 17x MVP/x of the season

No1

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:33 am

I see greater than 4 is winning, those who voted for this option have you got any suggestions for what number and setup?
6? 8? More?

Do you want restrictions on positions such as 2 tanks 2 hybrids 1 runner 1 defender, or do you wanna be able to freely choose which positions you have multiple of? (Will always require 1 in every position though

No1

Sonic
Community Leader
Community Leader
GGL Team: Team Caboose (but #ZLForLife)
AGLA Team: Reflex
Position: Tank

Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 pm

This was the old scoring system for when I tried to run this during FL13: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Parts of that scoring system are no longer relevant since we had more medals to work with (such as the passing/interception type medals) in Halo 4 between ricochet and TFC's stats site. I believe another variation I was planning for SML14 (might've been after that, actually, I don't recall) used a team defense system rather than a pure defender position, and that variation also normalized all tanking/defense stats per minute rather than per game, but since there isn't an easy way that I know of to get game time for stats in Halo 5, that might not be possible.

I will say that, tanking-wise, I like using stats like multikills as barometers rather than pure K/D. Successful double/triple kills and sprees put your team in advantageous situations that generally lead to pushes and goals. In the case of H5, you also have tracking for Goal Offenses and Defenses which can indicate an ability to finish off pushes at the opposing goal or land clutch kills on defense, respectively.

Here is a more modern system that I had originally created for use in a GPT fantasy league that never came to fruition (RIP), based on a patented (not actually patented) "player rating" formula I used for an old AGLA stats article series (which also might come back some day):
Runner: (3 * Goals) + (1.2 * BallKills) + (0.1 * KDA)
Tank: (0.4 * Multikills) + (0.5 * Sprees) + (1 * Exterminations) + (0.2 * Goal Offenses) + (0.2 * KDA)
Defender: (3 * Stops) + (0.5 * Goal Defenses) + (0.1 * KDA)
Hybrid: (1.2 * Goals) + (0.4 * BallKills) + (0.1 * Multikills) + (0.15 * KDA) + (0.2 * Sprees) + (1.2 * Stops) + (0.1 * Goal Offenses) + (0.1 * Goal Defenses)

The reason the numbers here might look odd decimal-wise is because I had specifically tweaked them so that the average points in each position league-wide was relatively even. I like the hybrid scoring system here better than in the older system posted above since it allows players who dominate in two areas of the game to not be overly penalized by the third (if you just take a straight average of the other three positions for hybrid scoring, you generally won't see very extreme values either way for hybrids, even if they had a monster or terrible game).

I used the stats from all the GPT Qualifiers at the time (probably somewhere in the range of 8 games/player on average) as a sort of control data to test the formulas, and these were the results:

Runners: Min avg/game: -0.6 points, Max avg/game: 13.5 points, Mean avg/game: 3.6 points, Median avg/game: 2.9 points
Tanks: Min avg/game: -1.5 points, Max avg/game: 17.0 points, Mean avg/game: 3.6 points, Median avg/game: 2.8 points
Defenders: Min avg/game: -0.5 points, Max avg/game: 11.1 points, Mean avg/game: 3.7 points, Median avg/game: Median: 2.7 points
Hybrids: Min avg/game: -0.7 points, Max avg/game: 11.8 points, Mean avg/game: 3.7 points, Median avg/game: 3.2 points

Generally with that system, tanks tended to be high-risk/high-reward type plays due to having the great impact from poor KDAs if a player has a bad game (6/32 players averaged <=0 points per game average, compared to an average of 1-3 such players in the other three positions, while 4/32 players averaged >=9 points per game, compared to an average of 1-2 such players in the other three positions). Defenders and Hybrids tended to be more consistent performers with a lower ceiling (only 1/32 players averaged >=9 points per game as a hybrid, but the median average of hybrids was considerably higher than the other three positions, while defenders had 3/32 players average the >=9 PPG mark but with a bit more variance). Runners tended to fall somewhere in the middle between tanks and defenders.

That system had been planned using seven-man rosters - one runner, two tanks, two defenders, and two hybrids. I think there's also a case that could be made for six-man rosters (1 runner, 1 defender, 2 tanks, 2 hybrids) since there aren't many purely-defensive players nowadays. Keep in mind, however, that this was for a 8-team, 4-player roster league, so the player pool was considerably smaller than the AGLA's would be, and you could certainly get away with larger rosters (or even a draft/auction bidding type thing, as has been done in past fantasy setups) in an AGLA variant, in my opinion.

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III

Wed May 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Damn, that's a lot of valuable info, nice to know how you ran it in the past!

In the EUGBL we had a point system of:

But the severe lack of medals in halo 5 compared to halo 4, especially for the defender position, will require a big change in numbers and medals used in order to even the positions fields.
I finished University last week and with the AGLA wrapping up soon, I'm gonna start drafting everything up based on this seasons stats to try find a good balance and determine players values for the upcoming season. Hopefully will have a far more detailed post coming up soon with visuals of what I've got and can start getting all the communitys opinions towards how they'd like it ran, system wise. For example the poll currently says people would like teams of more than 4 players, How many players would people like per team? do you want to have transfer windows to change your team? do we want playoffs or just one big table?

No1

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 am

Read below

ALL feedback and suggestions upon improvement is wanted, let me know your thoughts and ideas! Should be able to get a full on fantasy league going for the next AGLA

:rey:
Last edited by Reyas on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

No1

SKR Vigilante
Bronze VI
Bronze VI
AGLA Team: Wrecking Crew
Position: Hybrid

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 am

damn bruh putting in that work on stats

NOPLEX
2012 Grifballer of the Year
GGL Team: Paradox Warriors
AGLA Team: Vital Signs
EUGBL Team: RIP EU :(

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:53 am

:rey:
AGLA Admin
GGL Admin
IGL Admin

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:47 pm

NOPLEX wrote::rey:

No1

BossTycoon
Platinum VI
Platinum VI
GGL Team: Veni Vendi Venci
AGLA Team: Bid Pool
EUGBL Team: RIP

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Reyas wrote:
NOPLEX wrote::rey:
The Black List - GGL FL11 Vanilla Champions
The Black List - GGL WL12 Dash Champions

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:18 am

Seeing as the AGLA FL17 Pro Bidding kicks off on monday evening, bout time I start releasing some details on the fantasy league.

As it's only the first attempt at a halo 5 fantasy league we'll only be using pro players when making the teams to keep it simpler. Everybody will have a certain amount of credits in which to spend on players (must buy 5 players, 1 player per position + 1 dedicated bench player who will be rotated in should somebody in the main 4 not play). Teams will not be permitted to have more than 2 players from the same team. Multiple fantasy league players can have the same player as there simply is not enough players in the league to create a fair playing field if it was limited to 1 player per pool.

For every game a player plays in one week (I.e. October 16th-22nd) they will accumulate points towards the fantasy league based upon their stats in game. These stats and scores can be shown below. Every week each fantasy team will compete against the other teams potentially up to 3 or 4 games a week depending on amount of sign ups. The fantasy league will work alongside the regular season only with no playoffs. Whichever team has won the most games by the end of regular season will win the league.

Below you will find the points & stat allocations per position in order to give you a reference of where you think is best to put your money. Player values will be released post-bidding as the teams that players end up on could influence their value.

And here are some examples of how different performances can reflect on points:

Tank-Heavy Performance
(0 goals, 0 sword kills, 0 ball kills, +30 spread, 4 first strikes, 0 first touches, 40 multikills, 4 carrier kills, 8 goal offence, 3 goal defence, 1 win)

Runner/Defender-Heavy Performance
(4 goals, 12 sword kills, 15 ball kills, -20 spread, 0 first strike, 3 first touches, 20 multikills, 5 carrier kills, 2 goal offence, 5 goal defence, 1 win)

*Point values & stats could potentially change depending on feedback

The allocations have been worked out to give as balanced scores as possible in both average league scores and scores of the top players in each position. Stats from the past IGL were used for testing of these allocations and will also be used in order to determine player values for the upcoming AGLA.

If anybody has any feedback or questions then feel free to comment!

<3

No1

25thxboxknight
Bronze V
Bronze V

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Is there a stat sheet for all the pros and a separate stat sheet for the teams. I wanna see which team is the highest ranked defense and the team with the highest ranked offense. I wanna also see a stats page for which team has the highest ranked pass-rushing/turn-over ratio. I wanna know who is the best pass rusher in the league, the best defender in the league, the best catcher in the league, the best runner in the league, the best passer in the league, etc. I wanna see stuff like passes completed, catches made, run vs pass goal stats, etc.

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:24 pm

25thxboxknight wrote:Is there a stat sheet for all the pros and a separate stat sheet for the teams. I wanna see which team is the highest ranked defense and the team with the highest ranked offense. I wanna also see a stats page for which team has the highest ranked pass-rushing/turn-over ratio. I wanna know who is the best pass rusher in the league, the best defender in the league, the best catcher in the league, the best runner in the league, the best passer in the league, etc. I wanna see stuff like passes completed, catches made, run vs pass goal stats, etc.

What you wanna do is talk to 343 and tell them to track these things. I create spreadsheets I don't perform miracles.

No1

Sadertots
Diamond I
Diamond I

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Reyas wrote:
25thxboxknight wrote:Is there a stat sheet for all the pros and a separate stat sheet for the teams. I wanna see which team is the highest ranked defense and the team with the highest ranked offense. I wanna also see a stats page for which team has the highest ranked pass-rushing/turn-over ratio. I wanna know who is the best pass rusher in the league, the best defender in the league, the best catcher in the league, the best runner in the league, the best passer in the league, etc. I wanna see stuff like passes completed, catches made, run vs pass goal stats, etc.

What you wanna do is talk to 343 and tell them to track these things. I create spreadsheets I don't perform miracles.

Yep! There were medals in h4 to track passes thrown, and catches, and interceptions and all that jazz. Now in h5 there isn't. So you would literally need people watching every single game film and recording it by hand which definitely isn't happening :/

GGL Championships: SML12, SML13, WL14, SML14

The Sadertage

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 am

spam.