The Pig Pen

Discussion of the competitive American Grifball League of America.

Moderators: Community Leaders, GrifballHub Staff, AGLA Admins

Reyas
Diamond III
Diamond III
GGL Team: Pinnhead's Bench
AGLA Team: Some Weeby Shit
EUGBL Team: Here lies their hopes and dreams
Position: Tank

Re: The Pig Pen

Wed May 17, 2017 3:34 pm

Yeah knowing your oppositions styles and countering it is also a huge thing. I always make sure to go out of my way to either watch or play against as many people in the league as I possibly can to see how they all play, then feedback it to my team before games telling them how to counter it.

Don't need to be an exceptional tank to kill everyone, you just need to play to their weakness.
AGLA Pro/Ammy Record: W96/L29
EUGBL Record: W136/L46
Overall Record: W385/L107
7x 'ships ~ 7x Runner Up ~ 17x MVP/x of the season

#InternetRevival

NOPLEX
2012 Grifballer of the Year
GGL Team: F/A
AGLA Team: Legendary
EUGBL Team: RIP EU
Position: Hybrid

Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm

I agree with the sentiment that film is especially helpful for brand new players trying to hop on a higher learning curve, as far as reload, positioning and a few other little things. For some you can tell as a longer game drags on they can become one dimensional, or attack the same way footwork wise while tanking.
AGLA Admin
GGL Admin
IGL Admin

DefianT Solace
Platinum I
Platinum I
GGL Team: The Beautiful Game
AGLA Team: One Hit Wonders
EUGBL Team: Ascension

Wed May 17, 2017 4:52 pm

I don't know how I managed to spam Grifball for two years straight every night to get decent at the game. I wish I had that level of dedication now. -Passes out-
Team Impact <3
Jolteon

Silva
Diamond I
Diamond I
GGL Team: THE LIFE OF AJ
AGLA Team: Notorious

Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 pm

PriestXYZ wrote:Let me break it down. Halo 5's theatre is so much ass that it's almost rage inducing to even try and watch a fking film. You need the ability to go back and forth by one second to watch and see when and where people are swinging, dancing, etc. This game takes you back TWENTY SECONDS OR SOME SHIT when you want to rewind and then if you miss the play you were trying to look at you have to go all the way back twenty seconds and if it's at the end of a round and you go back you have to pray that it doesn't freeze.

This. It also doesn't help that, presumably because the game keeps track of 8+ player POVs instead of just 1, the saved films themselves appear somewhat delayed. Not awful, but definitely not a 1:1 representation like they were in H3 and Reach (I don't remember watching any H4 film but maybe that game too).

It's a shame because, as mentioned, film can be a huge help in improving your game. In H3 I watched a lot of film. Some for the disputes committee, some because I just enjoyed it, but mainly to improve my game. I'd watch other players a decent amount, but I mainly watched my own gameplay, usually of league games. For me, it was easier to critique myself and determine what I needed to change rather than watch others to try to improve. Watching others rarely helped me. I've had the same play style since H3 so watching say Determined tank in Reach or Shadow doing dum stuff in H3 never helped me.

My best advice would be to find your strengths and play style and then work from there, utilizing film if you can stomach the H5 theater.

Trespa5s
Intern
Intern
GGL Team: The Dropoffs
AGLA Team: Defiance

Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 pm

The Piggies wrote:I got better by watching Ace's game film but I also ALWAYS asked people for advice. To this day I still ask people how they tank against other people. Most are generous with their insight, some aren't. :P

Yea I've asked a couple of different people for some help and it's always been useful.
The game is 90% half mental.

xFTG SPARTANx
Bronze I
Bronze I
GGL Team: Pen is Mightier

Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 pm

I have to credit my tanking skills to MrAboveaverage. Couldn't have had a better teacher in my opinion. He helped me to learn how to kill and if any of you remember MyTransgression, he taught me how to survive longer as well as carry the ball. After that, I ran a lot with Unmarked Seiran while the rest of you had Halo 5 (I didn't have an xbox one at the time:(

After that, it was simply playing with some of you guys and just learning how you all like to play.

Wish I could be playing with you all rn but I got Finals to study for. RIP :)
Hehe

:penguin: :tacophd: :penguin:

KING RICK
Bronze VI
Bronze VI
GGL Team: Veni Vidi Vici
AGLA Team: Kills Optional

Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 am

Hmm

KING RICK
Bronze VI
Bronze VI
GGL Team: Veni Vidi Vici
AGLA Team: Kills Optional

Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 am

Shoutout to xRatedMonster

Rage
AGLA Admin
AGLA Admin
GGL Team: Apex

Thu May 18, 2017 1:46 am

PriestXYZ wrote:Let me break it down. Halo 5's theatre is so much ass that it's almost rage inducing to even try and watch a fking film. You need the ability to go back and forth by one second to watch and see when and where people are swinging, dancing, etc. This game takes you back TWENTY SECONDS OR SOME SHIT when you want to rewind and then if you miss the play you were trying to look at you have to go all the way back twenty seconds and if it's at the end of a round and you go back you have to pray that it doesn't freeze.

Left trigger to rewind please

Pinnheadlarry24
Gold I
Gold I
GGL Team: Veni Vidi Vici™
EUGBL Team: EU is stupid™
Position: Runner

Thu May 18, 2017 1:58 am

Rage wrote:

Left trigger to rewind please

Theater is shit and all, but what works for one person doesn't work for the other. Especially cause Halo 5 is super timing based.
#HandUpDon'tBan

Runner of the Season - Most Improved Player AGLA SL17
Best Sword -IGL 8

Creator of the Best Thread on the Hub
"Larry's Lists Boiiiiiiiiiii"

Silva
Diamond I
Diamond I
GGL Team: THE LIFE OF AJ
AGLA Team: Notorious

Thu May 18, 2017 9:06 am

NOPLEX
GGL Team: F/A
AGLA Team: Legendary
EUGBL Team: RIP EU

Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am

Me trying to figure out reload every game

AGLA Admin
GGL Admin
IGL Admin

The Piggies
2014 Grifballer of the Year
GGL Team: Xbox Record That

Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 am

Ammy vs Pro: A Deep Dive into Cultural Differences and their Effect on Cross League Interactions

Y'all like that title? :ugeek:

Hey y'all it's me again, Pigs. This time for Pig Pen I want to discuss some of my interaction with the newer players in the league. Let's just dive right into it.

Over the last month or so I've made a conscious effort to get into some ammy/slide customs. I want to get to know the new names in our league, and with the gametypes being fairly divisive the only way I can do that is to actively seek out these kinds of customs. This also means I've been getting party invites which has been great cause I actually get to know the new players on a personal level. That being said, I've been honestly shocked at some of the interactions I've witnessed in these parties. There are SO many rivalries in ammy it's kind of crazy. I wouldn't say the parties are volatile to the point where it's toxic, but they're not exactly the friendly/joking trash talk that I'm used to in pro. Everybody in pro is typically on friendly terms. There's a few exceptions but we've all been in the bid league so long that the chances are pretty good we've all teamed with one another or at the very least our friend groups have sort of meshed so we tend to keep it friendly. In ammy, this is definitely not the case.

Last night I was chilling in a party with me, Boss, Fiery Motive, Rice, BCN, and a couple other people. We were playing slide customs and talking and we formed teams and BCN made the comment that the teams were going to be unfair and he wasn't really feeling it. I was on his team and like I always do I was saying things like nah it's fine, we got this, and specifically "yo watch this play" right before I'd go and either lose the bomb or get killed. After one or two games of losing BCN decided he was gunna hop off for the night. After BCN left the party I made an off the cuff comment like "who rages at customs", and one way or another that comment made its way back to BCN. Needless to say he wasn't happy BUT whoever snitched had made it sound like I had talked a lot more shit than I actually did, which wasn't the case.

In my messages with BCN last night (who I'll say right now is a very reasonable person - I don't want anybody to get the wrong impression of him) I told him I was surprised I even got a message. In pro if I had said something to the effect of "that person is a rager", even if it did get back to that person the chances are high that nobody would care. Which brings me to my main point, pro has become so complacent. There's no rivalries or passion anymore, outside of a few exceptions. BCN is newer to the leagues and he cared enough to send me a message, and honestly it was refreshing.

Last night I also had the great displeasure of doing some shit talking with Rice and while it was definitely not appropriate for me to post here, it was kind of nice to be around people who really care about Grifball. Like don't get me wrong Rice is still a garbage bag but if I'm honest with myself his trash talk made me care more about winning a custom than I have since Halo 4. Idk about the rest of the vets but I get the impression this feeling of complacency sort of echoes all throughout pro. I think it's a real shame that the vets don't get to play more with the new kids, and I'm 100% sure that everyone would benefit from more interaction between the two leagues. The question really is how do we make that happen?

As a little bonus, a quick shout out to some of the newer names that have impressed me:

TrashPass
Wolverine
Sobriety
Meowlla
Otaku
Euphoria
Rice
Motive

These are in no particular order and also please note I have not gotten to play with all the ammy kids.

The Piggies
GGL Team: Xbox Record That

Wed May 24, 2017 11:44 am

Double posted. This website gives me specific murderous diseases that I won't say by name.

Lorenzo0o01
Platinum VI
Platinum VI
GGL Team: A Righteous Kill
AGLA Team: Vital Signs

Wed May 24, 2017 12:37 pm

By accepting their invites, boom done. Adore and I play with the ammy players often enough it's not hard getting into customs with them since they love playing grifball a lot more than pros do and it is refreshing...even if they prefer sliding around
AGLA: Captain of Vital Signs
GGL: A Righteous Kill
3 GGL ships
1 AGLA ship
1 plastic trophy lel
AGLA stats:
14,433Kills
169 goals
K/D: +4,748

Return to “AGLA Discussion”